President Ford throws out the first ball of the Texas Rangers 1976 season at Arlington Stadium on April 9, 1976.
Ford capped off the first day of a two-day campaign trip to Texas by attending the opening day game between the Rangers and the Minnesota Twins. Before the start of the game he threw two balls to Texas catcher Jim Sundberg from his seat in a box alongside the home team’s dugout.
Although Ford wrote with his left hand he threw with his right, a fact that surprised the press pool.
Due to the demands of his schedule President Ford left after the first inning. At his press conference the next morning he said of his trip so far he had “one regret, I wish I could have stayed and watched the Rangers win that ball game last night.” They beat the Twins 2-1 in 11 innings.
Want more Presidents and baseball? Download our new free eBook, "Baseball: The National Pastime in the National Archives."
Text and image from the Ford Presidential Library Facebook page (A9187-15A / ARC Identifier 6829632)
21 Notes/ Hide
- indypendent-thinking likes this
- smartchickscommune reblogged this from usagov
- tigresslily reblogged this from usagov
- smartchickscommune likes this
- katiegurly likes this
- ectogamut likes this
- serendipitybylee reblogged this from usagov
- conspiracytheorist79 reblogged this from usnatarchives and added:
- dvdvlsqz reblogged this from usagov and added:
- dvdvlsqz likes this
- ray54wtf likes this
- ontherightside reblogged this from usagov
- citylightsanddrunkhighfives likes this
- usagov reblogged this from usnatarchives and added:
- awydd likes this
- krazykat404 likes this
- congressarchives likes this
- theymightbeclippy likes this
- michaeledwardson reblogged this from usnatarchives
- ucsdspecialcollections likes this
- usnatarchives posted this