The Washington Monument was completed in 1884, and at 555 feet high remains the tallest building in Washington, DC.
In 1894, the construction of the 164-foot-high Cairo Hotel prompted the DC Commissioners to put a height restriction on all building in the District: 90 feet for residential and 110 feet for business.
But is this the right policy to guide future growth in the nation’s capital?
Join us at 7 pm on Tuesday, March 5 in person or on Ustream, for a lively discussion on the impact of building heights.
A panel of international experts will discuss the role governments play in managing building height in capital cities worldwide and examine strategies to balance city character and economic vitality in other capitals.
Presented in partnership with the National Capital Planning Commission.
Image: Photograph of the Placement of the Washington Monument’s Capstone in Washington, DC, 188, Record Group 121, ARC 596332.
46 Notes/ Hide
- weareallblacksheep reblogged this from usnatarchives
- babygirlloffu likes this
- magro--amore reblogged this from usnatarchives
- magro--amore likes this
- econtacted likes this
- radshades likes this
- shortcutss reblogged this from smartchickscommune
- rosedouglas reblogged this from mightyoaksandco
- sohciety reblogged this from amaki09
- atsoukalidis likes this
- sohciety likes this
- amaki09 reblogged this from smartchickscommune
- handcraftedinvirginia likes this
- thesoulthescreen likes this
- theforlornhope likes this
- mightyoaksandco reblogged this from smartchickscommune
- amaki09 likes this
- smartchickscommune reblogged this from usnatarchives
- randop-jackson reblogged this from usnatarchives
- ladykrampus likes this
- deemmzee reblogged this from usnatarchives
- smartchickscommune likes this
- preservearchives likes this
- brittanybubblegum likes this
- crysta-flowerfairy reblogged this from usnatarchives
- deemmzee likes this
- maneatingbadger reblogged this from usnatarchives
- iwalkedaudiotours likes this
- scarycatfish likes this
- xlittlewolfx reblogged this from usnatarchives
- jevnyus likes this
- mrhurley1200 likes this
- argyler reblogged this from usnatarchives
- rethinkagain likes this
- congressarchives likes this
- todaysdocument likes this
- sethganz reblogged this from usnatarchives
- mrsbrownyouvegotalovelydaughter reblogged this from usnatarchives
- 4ocak likes this
- onathanjayazolay likes this
- zokiplese likes this
- tonscinza reblogged this from usnatarchives and added:
- tonscinza likes this
- obitoftheday likes this
- usnatarchives posted this